Wednesday 9 September 2015

Showmen

I am so happy to say that I finally have permission to use some of the photographs of the band!

I'm still in the process of gaining permission for one or two of the best ones; and unfortunately I can't get permission for my personal favourite photograph which is very clear, but obviously understandable as the collections at Avery are still largely unprocessed.

Most of the ones I have are undated, and nearly all come from the Charleston Jazz Initiative collections in the College of Charleston (including the one below).

So here is just a taster of one image of the the Jenkins Orphanage Band from the Anglo-American Exposition during 1914...


As is seen here, the conductor was usually always a small boy who often performed tricks such as cartwheels whilst the band played. The band were taught to be great showmen and knew how to attract an audience!

King George V was so impressed with the band that he requested a private concert while they were in London, but unfortunately this had to be called off after Great Britain declared war on Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment